Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Reading Machine.

With Summer's official arrival, I compiled a list of books I hope to have read by the end of it. Dark Summer by Iris Johansen was at the top. Corny, yes, but how much more fitting than to kick off a summer reading marathon than with a book that contains the very season in its title.
This novel was not the author's finest work. I found it to be a bit lack lustre. There were intense moments but none quite as climactic as many of her others. Being one of my favorite authors, I anticipate her next book with higher hopes.
Very quickly, I dove into The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows. I have read half the book and can't wait to swallow the rest. It certainly isn't every reader's style. The tales are told in a post-WWII era through a series of letters penned by various characters. Thus far, this novel is an absolute afternoon delight. I would definitely recommend it for readers wanting to step just a touch away from regular reading into a world of delicious reminiscing.

No comments:

Post a Comment